hello world!
hello world!

Incorrectly Installed Wiring

Most electrical distribution fires result from problems with Incorrectly Installed Wiring such as faulty electrical outlets and old wiring.  Problems with cords (such as extension and appliance cords), plugs, receptacles, and switches also cause many homes electrical fires.

What Can a Homeowner do to help prevent issues from Incorrectly Installed Wiring?

  • Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
  • Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
  • Replace any electrical tool if it causes even small electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out, or gives off smoke or sparks.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.
  • Buy electrical products evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
  • Keep clothes, curtains, and other potentially combustible items at least three feet from all heaters.
  • If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
  • Don't allow children to play with or around electrical appliances like space heaters, irons, and hair dryers.
  • Use safety closures to "child-proof" electrical outlets.
  • Use electrical extension cords wisely; never overload extension cords or wall sockets. Don’t “daisy chain” electrical extension cords/electrical power strips.
  • Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
  • Finally, having a working smoke alarm dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire. And remember to practice a home escape plan frequently with your family.

Ready to Reach Out?

Fill out this contact form and we'll get back to you!